Frequently Asked Questions on the MEXT Scholarship Program

  1. Should I fill out the application by hand or by typing?
  • You can do it either way, but it is preferable to type out your answers for clarity.


  1. Do I have to certify my documents from the school/university or Ministry of Foreign Affairs?
  • You can submit your documents without certification, but if you pass the first screening, you may be asked to certify your documents.


  1. Is there a specific clinic or physician designated by the Embassy to fill out the certificate of health?
  • Any licensed physician can fill out the certificate of health. Make sure that the doctor fills out all fields in the form completely including the x-ray scan of the lungs.


  1. Do I have to submit TOEFL/IELTS/etc. certificate?
  • No, you don’t have to, but if you have such certificate, you may provide a copy of it.


  1. I’m outside of Iraq, can I apply?
  • You have to be in Iraq for the exams and interview.


  1. I have a bachelor’s degree but I want to take another bachelor’s degree in Japan. Can I apply for the undergraduate program?
  • If you satisfy all the conditions, including the age condition, you may apply.


  1. What majors are included in the scholarship?
  • Any major that is offered in Japan is included in the scholarship. You have to find out for yourself if the major is available or not.


  1. My recommender is in a different country, how can s/he send me a sealed a letter in time?
  • It is okay to send it to you via email to be submitted with the rest of your documents. Make sure to include your recommender’s contact information.


  1. I’m in my final year of studies, can I apply without my transcript?
  • If you are expected to graduate this year, you can submit the documents you have currently. If you pass the first screening, you have to submit your transcript of records and/or diploma once you obtain them.


  1. For undergraduate studies, should I submit only the final year transcript of records?
  • No, you must submit your transcript of records for all of your preparatory (high) years of schooling.


  1. Do I need to submit the Placement Preference Form with the rest of the documents or later?
  • Yes, but you can update it if needed after you pass the first screening.


  1. Do I choose the university, or the Embassy does?
  • You have to look up universities on your own and choose the ones that fit with your study goals.


  1. What are the materials for the exams? Do I have to take the Japanese exam?
  • Subjects of Qualifying Examinations for Applicants for the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships will differ depending on which scholarship you may apply for. However, everyone has to take general language exam for Japanese even if you do not have any knowledge in Japanese. It will not affect your application but it is necessary to determine your level for after your arrival in Japan.
  • Please check samples of past exams for your reference.


  1. Will I have to take an entrance exam before starting at the university in Japan?
  • You may need to take an entrance exam depending on the university and its decision.


  1. Can I take my family with me if I’m accepted? Will I receive extra allowance if I’m married?
  • You cannot take your family with you at the beginning, but once you are in Japan, you can start the procedure to bring your family (spouse and children), which may take several months. You will not be given extra allowance if you are married or have children.


  1.   I’m a doctor/dentist and want to apply for the research program. Is there a clinical part in the program?
  • A student who studies medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a relevant license from the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws. To obtain this license, the applicant needs to have at least three years’ experience.
  • Some universities may not permit the students to practice medicine. The applicant should check with the university s/he wishes to apply to directly on this matter.
  • The student must have a strong Japanese ability in order to deal with Japanese patients.
  1. I am already in college, can I transfer to finish my degree at a Japanese university with this scholarship?
  • No. You have to start from the first year of university.
  1. I have other questions, can I contact or visit the Embassy?
  • You have to make sure to read the guidelines carefully. If you are certain your question is not answered in the guidelines or this FAQs section, you may send an email to
Inquiries by email only. Any questions that have their answers clearly stated in the application guidelines or in this FAQ will be disregarded.